Tuesday 15 December 2015

Get your geek on!

My hubby bought me some new moulds for the holiday season, or maybe he thought I needed to do something different this year, I'm not sure.

With the anticipation of the new Star Wars movie coming, he bought me some Star Wars moulds. I had warned him that many of my fellow soapers had bought moulds from China and didn't realize that the moulds were measured in metric rather than imperial measurements and were quite shocked when they came in. So, he bought Japanese made moulds which gave measurements in inches and came with great reviews.

We were a little surprised when they showed up, even thought we knew what size they were supposed to be. Here's how they turned out for me.

Storm Trooper.
I made these both white and grey. I tried to fill in the details for the eyes and mouth, but they were too shallow.
This next one was rather cool.

Millenium Falcon

I tried to add detail by making some parts darker grey, but with little success.

There's something about 3-D moulds that are challenging, but when they're done, they really feel worthwhile.

Death Star




And finally, my coup de grâce:

One large R2D2. 
This guy weighs in at almost 2 lbs (small for a baby; very, very large for a soap!).

Package said it was an ice cube mould. I'd like to see the glass that could fit this ice cube.

Like a baby, he was a pain in the ass, but well worth the effort. Oh sorry, did I use my outside voice again?



I poured the body and used a jar lid to try and keep most of the soap out of the head area so I could try and make the head more metallic looking. Of course, it leaked into the body area, which meant a fair bit of clean up had to take place. The darker areas are actually coloured with antique blue mica, not that you can really tell in my photos. (this is why I'm not quitting my day job to be a photographer).


Have you bought your tickets to go see the new Star Wars movie? More importantly, are you going to be going in costume to go see the movie?









10 comments:

  1. The Millennium Falcon looks especially awesome to me...you don't even have to darken anything! R2 turned out really great as did the Death Star. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear! R2D2 turned out pretty well considering how difficult it was to work with the curves. I like the way the Death Star looks, kinda shimmery thanks to micas.

      Delete
  2. Your millennium falcon turned out perfect! The amount of detail you were able to get is really impressive. What a fun idea for the new movie. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A-M! It was fun to get into the spirit of the latest Star Wars movie and it is definitely one of those timeless things.

      Delete
  3. You did a great job on all of them. I love these! What great gifts for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry! I think it made for some nice gifts for people over the holidays.

      Delete
  4. I would never have thought it possible to fill I a 3-D mold with details! This huge soap is an art piece. It will sit in your bathroom for ever! A real collector. What a kind husband you have who surfs on soap mold sites...despite the fact that you give him your failed soaps. That may be a message by the way: he wants a new pile of soaps, with proper designs....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Madame Propre! I have told several people that it is more of a showpiece than a soap to be used, unless people want to chop it up into more hand held size.

      Haha! He's a guy, doesn't care too much about what the soap looks like as long as it works. :)

      Delete
  5. LOL about the baby. These soaps are really neat, Monica! I like the detail you got on the R2D2, and the Millennium Falcon and Death Star are cool. The Storm Trooper is neat, too. I wonder if you could make soap paint to fill in the details? My hubby and dad are at the Star Wars movie right now. No costumes, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! I think that's a great idea about painting in the details because it was certainly a difficult chore to try and get the colours to stay where they're supposed to. Hope your hubby and dad enjoyed the movie.

      Delete