Monday 6 April 2015

Happy accident


As you know, I'm trying to use up leftover bits and bobs of soap. I thought I had cleaned up my work space, but what I had done was tossed my cutting board of all the leftover shaved bits of soap on top of a cabinet. The joys of being old and forgetful. :P Since these bits weren't going to clean themselves up, I had to do something with them.

In the meanwhile, a friend had asked for some more soap, so I made him his 3 bars of soap, but had some leftover. It smells so good, scented with Litsea EO, I didn't want to just use it on anything. I thought I could pour one more small bar of soap, but there was only enough to cover just about half of the mould. Then I spied the scraps and threw them on top of the poured soap. Layering, it's something I need to practice anyway. I covered the scraps with clear and then took even more leftover soap, coloured it with some leftover bubblegum pink colouring and tossed it all on top.



I'm wanting to call it Anatomy Lesson because it kind of looks like guts and whatnot and the pink is almost flesh coloured, but that's probably not a good selling point is it? 

12 comments:

  1. Well, it's interesting looking and it smells great, so I call it a win! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! Yeah I think it's different from anything else I've really done. I know a lot of MP soapers specifically make shreds for their soaps, I can't be bothered to be that neat. ;)

      Delete
  2. Litsea EO? I haven't heard of that one, is it a blend?

    The soap reminds me of a pretty kaleidoscope with all the different chips thrown in. You are doing great with the layering experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Litsea EO is a blend of citruses and it smells amazing Michelle! When I went to purchase a citrus EO, the gals at Otion recommended this because it had more staying power.

      Oh you say my layering is good now, wait til you see my next project. I was cursing at myself. ;)

      Delete
  3. This soap looks very interesting, I cannot decide whether it's more like a pudding, or a florist's artwork? I like all the colours,inside and outside. Your friend will love it, Monica!
    And you're funny, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maja! Even if you said it was gosh darn ugly as sin, it's a good thing because it'd still be a reaction. :) I do like your analogies!

      I'm funny in a strange sort of way. :D

      Delete
  4. It really looks interesting, love the layers, Monica and the colours combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind Nat! I liked that I did something a little different, for me and it used up a bunch of scraps.

      Delete
  5. I think it looks great, Monica! Soap scraps add such a neat confetti effect. I've got a bag of scraps sitting around that I still haven't done anything with. Someday ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I liked it for the simplicity of making it (not so much the waiting for the perfect temperature part tho) and how it turned out.

      I'm sure once you find time to do something with your soap scraps, you're going to make something really creative and wonderful.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing your Aleppo soap, I am really fond of the color =) And, that mold is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as always Anne-Marie, for your kind words.

      Delete