Sunday 20 October 2013

Caffeine Fix

Our espresso machine is not working at the moment which is not a good thing. I know, First World problem, I wouldn't survive if I had to haul my own water to my house every day. I don't usually have coffee during the weekdays, but I do like my cup of java on the weekends. Hubby has been trying to make coffee by other means, including using the Bodum which I broke (doesn't filter too well) to just using a cheesecloth over a mason jar which leaves a mess to clean up.

One of the great things about the espresso machine is that the used coffee came out in little pucks, easy to toss into the compost, garden or what have you. I found they also dried out a lot faster if you wanted to use them in other ways, which I did.

I wanted to make a coffee soap. I liked the idea of re-using ingredients (and the coffee really doesn't taste so good being used a second time, but it does make for a nice, gentle exfoliant) and would also get rid of any fishy or other noxious smells on your hands.

I started by making a big bar for my own use, just to see how it'd turn out. I followed (sort of) the recipe from About.com on how to make coffee soap. The soap turned out great, nothing fancy, but I scented it with hot cocoa fudge, so it smells fantastic and the coffee does give a very gentle scrub. It's working great in the kitchen.

MakeItVancouver, one of the craft shows I'm attending this year, is a sponsor of #dinnerpartyYVR. MakeIt asked for giveaways to give to the house chefs, so I thought, what would be better for foodies than something food related? This time though, I thought I'd go small and cute. Making these coffee soaps with a clear base gave it a darker, richer colour. The ones with a white base soap allowed the coffee to show through. This time, I scented the soaps with peppermint cocoa FO and it smells fabulous! There are 3 hearts per set, I hope the cooks will like them.


Do you like exfoliants in your soap, if so, what's the best type of exfoliant for you?

16 comments:

  1. Your coffee soaps look great, Monica! Who would not fall in love with your adorable glossy hearts?
    I like mild to medium scrubby soaps and I've noticed men especially like them. Most older people don't like them because their skin is thinner and more sensitive, according to my mother-in-law.
    Espresso and finely ground oats are some of my favorite exfoliants. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Silvia! I like the darker, glossier ones as well, they just look more polished, pardon the pun.

      I didn't realize men were into scrubby soaps, thanks for the head's up. I'll have to gear some more towards that group.

      Your exfoliants sound yummy, I'll have to try that some time.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic idea! The little hearts look great! I wish I could smell them. I love the idea of reuse too. And what a perfect use in the soap as an exfoliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! Oh you'll have to come over and have a sniff, my craft room smells very nicely of the soaps right now.

      Delete
  3. Your coffee soaps look great, and I'll bet they smell amazing, too! The little hearts are so cute - I'm sure the house chefs will love them. I like finely ground oats or salt as exfoliants. I haven't tried coffee grounds, though. I should give them a go someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I do love the smell and I really have to warn people not to take a bite. I think coffee's supposed to help get rid of fishy smells on your hands, so hopefully the chefs will appreciate that.

      Oats seem to be a popular exfoliant, I think I'll try that next.

      Delete
  4. O-ho-ho, just make sure nobody eats them! Giving those to chefs is quite dangerous! I'm telling you, they will look at them, smell and go for a bite! At least, that is what I would do!
    They seriously look edible and delicious and even smell yum-yum!
    Have a good fun there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Maja! Yes, when I handed them over to be given away, the gal thought they were truffles. I had to tell her to warn people not to take a bite. :)

      Delete
  5. Are those ever cute..I love those little chocolate heart soaps, like perfect little truffles, they'll love them! I find most exfoliants too rough for me, but I would love to give coffee a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the lazy in me Cee, that loved this recipe. Didn't have to do much of anything to make them look good. Have you tried oatmeal, like others here have suggested?

      Delete
  6. Monica, let me tell you how beautiful your scrub soap is! I don't have a coffee machine, but I have already made a coffee soap, which was far from being as gorgeour as yours! And those little soap: so cute, I will be thinking twice before using them :)
    Wish you a lovely we!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nat! You don't drink coffee? I admire people who can get away from it. I only have it on weekends now, but boy do I enjoy it when I do.

      I'm sure yours was much more gorgeous and way more authentic too.

      Delete
  7. Yes, of course I like coffee too, but I try not to drink it... so I don't drink it, but the smell of coffee... this is something I do really love!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have coffee as an indulgence and really have the time to savour it instead. You're right, coffee smells so delicious, even if it doesn't taste nearly as good, depending on the coffee.

      Delete
  8. As someone who has held and smelled these little heart soaps, I give the 10 thumbs up! ;) Seriously, they're fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could use a few more recommendations like that Teresa! :) I should've sent some home with you.

      Delete