Monday 10 December 2012

Virtual Cookie Exchange


Michelle had a great idea of having a virtual cookie exchange since a bunch of us live far away from each other and can't have a real cookie exchange. This is probably better for the waistline anyway.

To be honest, I'd forgotten all about it until Kathy said the deadline was coming up. I was tempted to just share this picture of a bag of goodies I got at work. I'd show you what's inside but I've eaten about half already. The gal did a great job, she had sugar cookies, gingersnap, a cake pop, and some banana bread.


I'd thought about sharing the whipped shortbread recipe which Teresa and I both adore, however, I got caught up in the excitement of recipes on-line and I had about a dozen eggs I wanted to use up in baking. The whipped shortbread doesn't even want to see an egg.

So I decided on biscotti. This year because I didn't bake as much, so I decided to go the extra mile and dip them in chocolate.

This is what I've done for Christmas baking for this year. Obviously I didn't fill up the counters with dozens of varieties like years past, which brings me to the obvious question:  what the heck was I thinking in previous years?




Biscotti
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. grated orange rind
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup toasted almonds, chopped coarse

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and foamy. Beat in orange rind and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in almonds.

On greased and floured baking sheet (hah!), shape dough into two (14" x 2") logs about 4" apart. Smooth tops and sides with a rubber spatula.

Bake at 325F for 30 minutes or until firm and golden. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 275F. Cool for 10 minutes.

Slide a metal spatula under logs and transfer them to a cutting board. With a large chef's knife, cut logs diagonally into 1/2"slices. (The best way to do this it to place the tip of the knife on the board, then press down firmly. This will cut cleanly through the almonds and the cookie will be less likely to crumble.

Stand the slices upright (not on a cut side) on baking sheet about 1/2" apart.

Bake at 275F for 30 minutes or until lightly toasted.


The other ladies in this group have wonderful blogs the rest of the year as well. Check out their cookies and other wonderful posts at:

and last, but definitely not least,

Not all cookie posts are up quite yet, but they will be soon!


11 comments:

  1. Yum! I've never made Biscotti- love the dipping in chocolate! Thank you sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy that's what I love about it. Plus it looks fancy cause people usually buy it from the high end coffee places so they think you've gone to a lot of trouble to make it.

      Looking forward to your post Carrie.

      Delete
  2. MMmmm, biscotti. Wish I had some of that with this cup of coffee I'm drinking. Will have to use this recipe, STAT! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to send some over but they'd be pretty stale by the time they got to you. :) Hope you enjoy the recipe.

      Delete
  3. I used to make biscotti a lot coz hubby loves them, but haven't made any in years. Might have to start again with your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this recipe because it's so simple but biscotti looks so elegant when cut properly (which I can't do). And they're low cal so double bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea biscotti was so easy to make. I was expecting a two page recipe for it. I LOVE BISCOTTI but have never eaten home made. This will be great... can even slip a few into the kids lunches :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You told me about biscotti last year, I believe. I keep forgetting I want to make them. Now that I have your recipe.. muahahah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did? I don't even remember what I told myself. Hee hee, you make the biscotti & I'll have to try your lace cookies.

      Delete
  7. A virtual cookie exchange...what a neat idea! The biscotti look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful idea but I'm still gaining weight from reading all the recipes. ;)

      What's your favourite holiday cookie Cee? Love to have you share with us.

      Delete